Don’t worry, be happy!
- By Dr. T Deepa Porkodi
Worrying doesn’t take away tomorrow’s troubles. It takes away today’s peace.
Worrying is a futile activity. It doesn’t change anything, instead it robs you of your precious moments that you could have utilized happily elsewhere. In fact excessive worrying can lead to severe physical and mental health issue and disrupt your otherwise perfect life in many ways.
- Physical Effects of worrying: When you worry, the physical response is as adverse as the one when you are in a potential life-threatening danger. Excessive worrying sends the wrong kind of signals to the brain, indicating a need to escape from the situation. The brain signals the release of adrenaline that makes your heart beat faster, your muscles to tense and the blood pressure to shoot. Now that your body has tensed and is ready to respond to the threat you are feeling, the muscle tension can turn into aches and pains causing headaches, back pain, weak legs and trembling. This tension can also affect your digestive system triggering bouts of constipation or diarrhea. You even become prone to several infections. Worrying takes a toll on your immune system and you never fully recover from the ailments that afflict you.
- Effects of worrying on the brain: Excessive worrying takes a toll on the functioning of the brain too. It leaves you restless and agitated and your concentration span decreases. You find yourself not being able to focus on a thing for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Too much worrying makes your brain dull which in turn reflects as you being lethargic and lazy and disinterested in all kinds of activities.
- Effects of Worrying on your sex-life: A relaxed mind and relaxed body are the primary requisites for having the perfect, pleasurable sex-life. When you are bogged down by worry, you neither have a relaxed mind nor a relaxed body. This could lead to underperformance, loss of libido, lack of interest in sex. What is worse is that worrying and a bad sex life form a vicious cycle. One thing leads to the other and the end is a complicated picture!
- Effects of worrying on general health: Worrying makes you absent-minded and neglectful of your health. You feel too stressed to eat properly and therefore you don’t get the requited vitamins, minerals and nutrients from food. This speeds the ageing process and makes you look old years beyond your age.
- Effects of worrying on mental health: Worrying a lot are a primary cause for depression. When this continues for long, it will end up making you cynical. You will start feeling, there is no justice in the world and may become paranoid. These are early signs of mental diseases like depression or schizophrenia.
Stop worrying. You are not going to achieve anything through it!