Your diet can do wonders on diabetes
- By Team TDO
The main purpose of correct nutrition for diabetics is to attain normal blood sugars, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
It is very important to eat right daily to keep blood sugar levels even and remain healthy. Follow these easy tips:
- Eat variety: A colorful plate is the best way to make sure that you are eating lot of raw food, fruits, vegetables, lean meat and protein food like nuts, dairy products and grains/cereals.
- Eat right: Consume the correct number of calories to ensure a healthy weight.
- Make it rich: Fiber-rich foods like wholegrain breads, fruit and cereal are important. They are good sources of vitamins and minerals. They add bulk to food and keep digestion smooth. Eat at least 25-35 grams of fiber per day to improve glucose and cholesterol levels.
- Get your facts right: Before beginning let's set some things right. Diabetes doesn't mean cut carbs totally, load up proteins and eat diabetic diet. Wrong! Most individuals with diabetes can continue to enjoy their favorite foods, including desserts, as long as they monitor the calories, carbs and other key dietary components and yet keep a regular check on their blood glucose levels.
- Increase physical activity: Avoid oily and high calorie food. Keep bad LDL cholesterol low. Check the food labels for contents and calories to keep check on your intake of fats and cholesterol.
- Use non-caloric artificial sweeteners instead of sugar if needed, to reduce calories in your favorite foods.
- Sugar free means no sugar has been added, but you must remember these foods still contain carbohydrates,which does affect your blood sugar.