Flash the pearlies
- By Team TDO
Remember the lines from the song, Words?
Smile an everlasting smile, a smile can bring you near to me.
Well, ideally, you wouldn’t want your teeth to be yellow when you flash that smile. So for those who have shades of yellow on their teeth, here’s how you can go back to white.
It’s first important to understand what causes yellowing of the teeth.
- Eating habits: Carbonated drinks dissolve teeth enamel. Tea, coffee and other caffeinated drink stain the teeth yellow.In addition, alcohol and cigarette smoking too can stain teeth. Tobacco chewing especially produces stains that are difficult to remove.Food rich in artificial sweeteners are harmful for teeth. They not only make the teeth yellow but also produce cavities. Chocolates, pastries, ice-creams and all such sugar-rich foods are sticky. They stick to teeth and have corroding effect on tooth enamel and dentin and cause yellow teeth, decay and toothache.
- Oral hygiene: Poor hygiene of oral cavity leads to stains and caries. Take good care of your teeth. Brush teeth twice. Floss them and use a mouthwash.
- Ageing: Gradual loss of enamel and wear and tear lead to yellow teeth.
- Medicines: Medicines like iron tablets, tetracycline too can lead to yellow teeth.
- Injury: Trauma to teeth can sometimes lead to yellowing. This is common amongst kids.
Preventing yellowing of teeth
- Maintain a good dental hygiene. Brush twice for atleast 3-4 minutes. But be gentle while brushing teeth.
- Gargle every time after you eat.This removes the leftover food particles and keeps the teeth clean.
- Avoid use of local powders or corrosive substances. They damage enamel.
- Fruits like apple, cucumber, and carrot act like cleansing agents and keep teeth clean. Fruits like sweet lime are rich in vitamin C and help to keep gums and teeth healthy.