Make your food winter-ready
- By Team TDO
Here are some super foods for the winter season that reduce the risk of colds and fluand stay healthy.
- Ginger: Ginger generates heatwhich is needed during the winter. It stimulates circulation, relieves throat congestion. It aids digestion and acts as a natural anti-inflammatory thus helping prevent joint, muscle pain of arthritis in winter. Use ginger as syrup, in tea or add to food
- Garlic: Garlic acts as a healer. It helps fight against viruses that cause cold and flu, fungi and bacteria. It helps to lower cholesterol levels in the blood thus avoiding heart diseases. It can be eaten raw or after cooked.
- Dry fruits: These are rich in minerals, vitamins and enzymes. Raisins are excellent in anaemia, constipation and other debilitating diseases. Cashew nuts help to prevent the heart problems. Dates are helpful in intestinal ailments and anaemia. Almonds help strengthen muscles and are rich in vitamins which are good for hair and skin.
- Sweet potatoes: These boost immunity; contain vitamin C and vitamin A (which helps to build up immunity) and vitamin E and thiamine (vital for a healthy nervous system).
- Amla: Amla is the richest source of Vitamin C. This helps digestion in winter. It is excellent for boosting immunity. Best food to prevent cold and flu.
- Fish: Fish is a fantastic source of zinc and the omega-3 fatty acids. Zinc increases the production of white blood cells that fight infection. It helps in preventing seasonal affective depression in the colder months. Omega-3 fatty acids help in elevating mood.