Snacks for an expecting mother
- By Team TDO
What to eat and what not, that's a question that every budding mom faces through the course of her pregnancy. Things get especially difficult when you crave something yummy, but fear that it may not be good for the baby. So here’s a list of foods that are healthy and yummy.
- A basket of fresh fruits: Fruits are the best and the healthiest 'ready to eat' snack for pregnant women. They need little or no preparations. Grab some fruits like apples, oranges and bananas every morning. Black grapes, banana, ripe mango, dates, cashew nuts, and apricot are very beneficial to the body. Just avoid adding sugar syrups.
- Colourful salads: Carrots, tomato, spinach, celery, cucumber, zucchini, raisins and nuts, all make excellent salads. You can add chickpeas and kidney beans for a protein boost. Protein is a great choice for a snack because it is the building block for every cell. It also helps many moms when they are feeling fatigued or nauseated.
- A bag of nuts: Nuts do not require any refrigeration or preparation and are very handy to carry. Grab your hands on nuts, as they are protein powerhouses.
- Boiled eggs: Boiled eggs are healthy nutrient-rich snacks. If you are confused about what to have for breakfast, go for boiled eggs.
- Snacks rich in magnesium: Magnesium is good for bones. Grab on magnesium-rich foods such as a glass of milk, a baked potato or a handful of seeds.
- Yogurt: It’s a nutritious snack, which can provide 25% of your daily calcium requirement, protein, fibre, and several other necessary vitamins and minerals.
So, have a healthy approach to your snack attack, and turn them into opportunities to feed a healthy diet to yourself and the baby.